Minutes of Telecon 29 June 2010

Attendees

  • Anu Abhayasinghe (BoM)
  • Bruce Wright
  • Frédéric Guillaud
  • Jeremy Tandy (chair)
  • John Schattel
  • Dominic Lowe
  • Andrew Woolf
  • Spiros Ventouras
  • Pete Trevelyn

Agenda (retrofitted)

  1. Review actions from last meeting (01 June)
  2. Timelines.
  3. Making progress.
  4. AOB
  5. Next Meeting

1) Review actions from last week

  • ACTION A9: AW to flesh out polar year use case further using real example from polar year. REMAINS OPEN
  • ACTION A18: AW to follow up on hydrology use case (possibly re WRON work in australia) REMAINS OPEN
  • ACTION A21: ALL Begin to identify data types on use cases by next telecon. See meeting notes for details CLOSE: we have begun this work
  • ACTION A28 : ALL: Agree a deadline for final edits to use cases. CLOSE: Agreed that the use cases are representative enough. Rather than having a blanket edit deadline we will agree to firmer ownership and responsibility for individual use cases.
  • ACTION A32 : BW JT: Provide more information on requirements for WMO/ICAO timeline. CLOSE: See notes below on timelines
  • ACTION A33 : ALL: Review objectives (@ next telecon) CLOSE: This feeds into the discussion we had this telecon.
  • ACTION A35 : : BW: co-ordinate activity between Chris Little (current owner of UC11), Paul Davies (chief hydrometerologist @ uk flood forecasting centre & Andrew Woolf (provide insight from exposure to australian WaterML project & INSPIRE annex 1 Hydrography twg) REMAINS OPEN
  • ACTION A36 : JT: Add milestones pertaining to WMO IPET-MDI CLOSE: See notes below on timelines
  • ACTION A37 : JT, AW Discuss focus on query models / operations regarding mo.dwg conceptual modeling REMAINS OPEN: AW/JT to report back on this next time
  • ACTION A38: JT Co-ordinate addition of WMO table-driven-codes (GRIB & BUFR etc.) to data models analysis on mo.dwg twiki REMAINS OPEN
  • ACTION A39 : DL: Schedule next meeting taking account of known absentees in 2-weeks time (Bruce & Jeremy) CLOSE

2) Timelines:
  • JT reported on WMO/ICAO/IPET-MDI timelines:
  • WMO CBS(?sorry, missed this?) Session once every 2 years - next mtg in November, Windhoek Namibia, Meetings in mid- September to draw line under what to do for this conference.
  • Expert team IPET-MDI (Jeremy chairs) met 6 weeks ago in Geneva. WMO has need to resolve metadata problems about WIS so concentrated on formalising metadata working practices. No progress on CM activity in that group - from WMO perspective CM is happening through OGC MetOcean. Further resources in may be put onto CM in future.

3) Making Progress
  • Group agreed not enough progress has been made to date.
  • JT proposed to resolve by assigning ownership of individual use cases to people who are participating in this group so responsibilities are clearer.
  • For each use case identify a named individual for 1) coordinating activity, 2) coordinating analysis and beginning to develop a Conceptual Model that suits it. (Although coordination of UML modelling will happen centrally).
  • e.g. Pete T has done some work on analysing existing data models and seeing how they meet his use case and query requirements. NEW ACTION A40 PT: Share data model analysis work with the group if possible.
  • INSPIRE: proposal to share overlapping use cases (eg Emergency Response) between metocean dwg and inspire use cases.
  • Assigned use cases to individuals as below:
    • UC1: Aaron
    • UC2: Pete
    • UC3: Bruce
    • UC4: John
    • UC5: Frederic (? check)
    • UC6: BruceW (inspire)
    • UC7: Jeremy
    • UC8: BruceW (maybe BruceB? to discuss)
    • UC8: Andrew
    • UC10: Nominally Ben Domenico - keep open.
    • UC11: NEW ACTION A41: FG, BW, SV: Decide who is doing UC11

People also committed to allocate some time to this over the next couple of weeks.

estimates:

  • Aaron - not here
  • Pete - 4 days
  • Frederic - 2/3 days (inspire related)
  • John - 2 days
  • BruceW - 4 days (inspire related)
  • Andrew - 2 or 3 hours

But what do want to do? What are the goals?
  • Think about information types that are needed.
  • Think about what's out there already. Bufr, netcdf, WXXM, CSML ,CDM, O&M (ogc portal) Do these data models meet the use cases?
  • Think about the query models - what are the queries you need to make?
  • Need to start moving into putting some of this info into a data model - although we should coordinate this (Dom).

4)AOB
  • No

5) Next Meeting
  • NEW ACTION A42 : DL: Schedule next meetings

-- DominicLowe - 30 Jun 2010
Topic revision: r2 - 30 Jun 2010, DominicLowe
 

This site is powered by FoswikiThe information you supply is used for OGC purposes only. We will never pass your contact details to any third party without your prior consent.
If you enter content here you are agreeing to the OGC privacy policy.

Copyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding OGC Public Wiki? Send feedback