Minutes of Telecon 20 April 2010

Attendees

  • Aaron Braeckel
  • Adrian Custer
  • Frédéric Guillaud
  • Ethan Davis
  • Bruce Wright (chair)

Apologies

  • Andrew Woolf

Agenda:

  1. Review actions from last meeting
  2. Review Use Case progress (actors/information types)
  3. EGU General Assembly (Vienna, 2-7 May)
  4. TC meeting (Silver Spring, DC, 14-18 June)
  5. INSPIRE
  6. AOB
  7. Next Meeting

1) Review actions from last week

  • ACTION A9: AW to flesh out polar year use case further using real example from polar year. Remains OPEN
  • ACTION A18: AW to follow up on hydrology use case (possibly re WRON work in australia) Remains OPEN
  • ACTION A19: AW: Put on twiki guidance about how to identify datatypes. CLOSED COMPLETE - see Identifying spatial object types
  • ACTION A21: ALL Begin to identify data types on use cases by next telecon. See meeting notes for details. Remains OPEN - 5 of the use cases remain incomplete, 2 with no current owner.
  • ACTION A22: AW: Specify the methodology on the wiki. CLOSED COMPLETE - see Data modelling methodology
  • ACTION A23: BW: Add 'current owner' to use cases on wiki. CLOSED COMPLETE
  • ACTION A24: DL: Arrange meeting for 13th taking into account summer time etc. CLOSED COMPLETE - but meeting abandoned due to poor 'attendance'.

2) Review Use Case progress

  • 11 uses cases are described
  • Of which 6 have had the important information extracted in to standard tabular form (actors, information types, query types, etc)
  • Of the remain 5:
    • 3 have owners identified who have yet to populate them:
      • UC9: sustained environmental science campaign - e.g. International Polar Year (Andrew Woolf / Chris Little)
      • UC10: Automated Steering of High-resolution Local Weather Forecast Models (Ethan Davis / Ben Domenico)
      • UC11: Riverine Flood Forecasting using Meteorological Ensemble Forecasts (Chris Little (tie-in with Hydrology DWG))
    • 2 have no current owner:
      • UC6: seasonal forecasting for agriculture in India (picked up by Met Office, but with no specific owner)
      • UC7: climate impact assessment for economic development in sub-saharan Africa (not assigned)
  • Need to move these incomplete use cases forward

  • Although, it had previously been agreed that this telecon should begin to move to the next steps of the methodology, given the small 'attendance' , this was not progressed.

3) EGU General Assembly (Vienna, 2-7 May)
  • BW raised the possibility of an informal meeting of this Conceptual Modelling group at the EGU, which he was attending, and expected others from the group to be attending
  • ED thought the Ben Domenico might be attending

  • NEW ACTION A25: BW: To mail out at to group to see if there is sufficient interest for a meeting in Vienna (EGU)

4) TC meeting (Silver Spring, DC, 14-18 June)
  • AB asked if there were plans for a meeting of the MetOcean DWG at the next TC meeting, and offered to host this meeting.
  • AC thought that the Frascati TC had agreed to arrange a DWG meeting in Silver Springs.

  • NEW ACTION A26: BW: To contact Marie-Francoise Voidrot and Chris Little to check the plans for the silver springs TC and pass on AB's offer to host.

5) INSPIRE
  • AC asked whether INSPIRE had plans to develop a data format standard & about the tie-in of activities between this group and INSPIRE
  • BW said that it was early days, with the membership of the INSPIRE Annex II and III Thematic Working Groups only just having been confirmed and a meeting of the Editors and Facilitators for the TWG currently taking place.
  • However, we are reasonably well represented on the Atmospheric Conditions + Meteorological Geographical Features TWG: both FG and BW are on the group
  • Post meeting note: the full list of members is:

Name Country Organisation
Sheila Cryan   European Environmental Agency
Esa Falkenroth SE Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute
Frédéric Guillaud FR Meteo-France
Stefano Nativi IT Italian National Research Council (CNR - IMAA)
Erwin Petz AT Zentralanstalt f. Meteorologie und Geodynamik
Ilkka Rinne FI Finnish Meteorological Institute (FMI)
Raymond Sluiter NL Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute (KNMI)
Bernard Strauss FR Meteo-France
Spiros Ventouras UK STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Bruce Wright UK Met Office

  • The hope is the the activity of the INSPIRE TWG and the OGC Met-Ocean DWG will be closely aligned, andwe would expect to feed the development work on our Use Cases into the INSPIRE work.

6) AOB
  • AC was after a GRIB dataset with full set of parameter and times over 24 hour period to facilitate consideration of the mapping to web service parameters - AB kindly agreed to make such a dataset available.

7) Next Meeting
  • Next scheduled Telcon (4 April) clashes with the EGU General Asembly, which may make is sensible to cancel this meeting.

  • NEW ACTION A27: BW: To chexk many people are expected to be available for the next Telcon and decide whether to cancel it or not.

Summary of new actions and decisions from this meeting:

  • NEW ACTION A25: BW: To mail out at to group to see if there is sufficient interest for a meeting in Vienna (EGU)
  • NEW ACTION A26: BW: To contact Marie-Francoise Voidrot and Chris Little to check the plans for the silver springs TC and pass on AB's offer to host.
  • NEW ACTION A27: BW: To check many people are expected to be available for the next Telcon and decide whether to cancel it or not.

Action 21 still remains the most important!!

-- BruceWright - 20 Apr 2010
Topic revision: r2 - 21 Apr 2010, BruceWright
 

This site is powered by FoswikiThe information you supply is used for OGC purposes only. We will never pass your contact details to any third party without your prior consent.
If you enter content here you are agreeing to the OGC privacy policy.

Copyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding OGC Public Wiki? Send feedback