You are here: OGC Public Wiki>GeoSciMLswg Web>ViennaFace2FaceJune2017 (revision 9)EditAttach

Geological Survey of Austria
Neulinggasse 38, 1030 Wien, Austria
Monday, 29 May 2017
8:30am - 5:00 pm

Agenda

  1. Welcome to the meeting and sorting out of any teleconference audio/visual issues
  2. Resignation of the current SWG Chair and election of a new one
  3. New hosting of geosciml.org website (Ollie Raymond)
  4. Status of GeoSciML with OGC (Eric Boisvert)
  5. Previous meeting (Dublin 2016) minutes and actions.
  6. Conversion of the group from a model development SWG into a Change Request management group
  7. Consideration of CRs
    1. Sylvain Grellet, Ollie Raymond (GeoSciML -Lite gml:identifier, gsmlp:identitfier, specification_uri)
    2. any other requests for change
  8. Review of example instance docs and Schematrons (mainly the example instance docs)
  9. Future GeoJSON / RDF encoding of GeoSciML
  10. The future of the GeoSciML borehole standard
    1. cross-domain collaboration with OGC Geoscience DWG, GroundWaterML, Energistics, etc
  11. Progress with developers of client software
    1. ESRI (any developments?)
    2. QGIS AppSchema Toolbox (Sylvain Grellet to report)
  12. Promotional opportunities for GeoSciML
  13. Any other business

Meeting Minutes, Actions

Attendees

Ollie Raymond (GA)
Mark Rattenbury (GNA)
Liu Rongmei (CGS)
Zhang Minghua (CGS)
Qu Honggong (CGS)
James Passmore (BGS)
Tim Duffy (BGS)
Carlo Cipolloni (ISPRA)
Eric Boisvert (GSC)
Christine Horfarter (GBA)
Marcus Sen (BGS, remote)
Jan Noessner (Dassault Systems, remote)
Sylvain Grellet (BRGM, remote)
Steve Richard (Columbia Uni, remote)

Ollie resigned and Eric accepted nomination to be new chair.

OGC specification approved late 2016. All on the OGC website now.

TO DO: Nillable properties need to be added to v4.1 schemas. Eric to do this. >> v4.1.1

TO DO: Ollie to update the geosciml.org website with v4.1 information, very soon. Need to copy all the SEEGRID Enterprise Architect instructions to the GeoSciML website.

TO DO: Eric - Need to ask Scott Simmons/Greg Buehler to add links to HTML documentation on the OGC website.

Decisions from Dublin
  • particleShape - consider changing the name of "shape" to "particleShape"
TO DO: Ollie to contact Scott Simmons to arrange

1. change of chair and
2. change to RWG? (Ask Scott Simmons what is the implication)

Change Request form Identifier discussions

see Tim Duffy's email summary

Problems with server software. Lack of software providers support for access to gml properties (ie, 2 namespaces) in SF0 services
  • ArcGIS Server cannot serve gml:identifier?
  • Mapserver (template) cannot force it to serve both gml:identifier and gsmlp:identifier
  • Geoserver requires AppSchema
DECISION: Remove GML3.1 limitation from GSML-Lite --> 3.2. Eric to draft a profile document to reflect these points.
  • gml:identifier will always resolve to itself (ie, the Lite feature)
  • gsmlp:identifier will always resolve to the full-blown representation in a non-hypermedia (non-LOD) situation (ie, the full GSML feature - gsmlb:mappedFeature for GeologicUnits, or gsmlbh:borehole for Boreholes)
  • when in a LOD situation, ideally the non-information resource should be in gml:idenitifier, but gsmlp:identifier can also rsolve to a Lite representation via content negotiation. Need to specify mime types for content negotiation - spec needs to be improved re mime types
  • gsmlp:specifiation_uri will always resolve to GSML geologic feature (eg, GeologicUnit)
TO DO: <Tim to add more explicit text here>

Confirmation required from Scott Simmons about best way forward.

MetadataProperty - deprecated in gml3.2. We can keep using it, but would like to know why GML deprecated it ("prohibited" in SF), and what is it replaced by. What is the replacement? Found an emmail from Clemens Portele (2015) that said to keep using the deprecated element. If GML ever removes MetadataProperty altogether, we will add it back into GSML.

TO DO: Need example instance documents for GSML-Lite
  • Carlo will email Italian example to Eric
  • Ollie will email GA examples (Lite and full) to Eric
INSPIRE validation service - uses schematrons. Using it particularly for Geomorphologic Feature. Plan to extend to other GSML features. (Not working right now, but hopefully in a month's time) - http://cloud.epsilon-italia.it/eenvplus_new/

OneGeology cookbooks to be updated to reflect v4.1 - Tim

GeoJSON encoding

ShapeChange can make JSON from UML. How does JSON deal with namespaces?

Sylvain experimenting with a JSON version of BoreholeView. Can 'save as' GeoJSON from ESRI ArcMap of a GSML-Lite wfs service. Also in QGIS.

Is there a use case for a GeoJSON encoding of complex GSML? Tim says developers are asking for it.

TO DO: Need a work item for JSON in the WG

- evaluate ESRi and QGIS JSON (simple WFS)

- check out ShapeChange for converting UML to JSON

ISO19150-1 and 19150-2 = rules to go from UML to RDFencoding.

- Eric thinks we can generate RDF that is very similar to GML schema

- TO DO: try ShapeChange for converting UML to RDF

DECISION: Eric to do - Communicate to the OGC Geoscience DWG (GDWG) that the GeoSciML SWG would like to participate in a GDWG working group to review the borehole models of GeoSciML, GroundWaterML, BoreholeML and WITSML to document the similarities and gaps between these models, with a view to publishing recommendations for a common borehole information model and transfer options. Send to Francois Robida (GDWG), Boyan Brodaric, Tony Boston, Ilya Zaslavsky (zaslavsk@sdscNOspamPlease.edu) (GWML), Rainer Haener (rainer.haener@gfz-potsdam.de - BoreholeML), Jens Richter...

TO DO: Sylvain to start the borehole process at EPOS WP15 meeting in Rome.

TO DO: Ollie will email the GA Borehole model diagram and EAP.

ESRI USA - working to deliver GSML Basic with INSPIRE "soon". "ESRI for INSPIRE" available to all OneGeology participants. Can get it through Enterprise licence agreements too.

QGIS - Sylvain showed presentation from Delft OGC meeting about developments in complex WFS handling in QGIS - Application Schema Toolbox plugin. Testing can be done through OSGeo 4 Windows >> Advanced install >> QGIS v2.99 / GDAL 2.2 nighlty build then adding the plugin

Promotional activities

TO DO: Publish a new article in a Geoinformatics journal describing GSML v4.1 - Steve availalble in August, Eric, Ollie, Marcus, Carlo,
Needs examples as well as a no-too-technical description of the standard. Borrow a lot of content from the OGC spec.

Set a start target date of August 1.

RFG2018, Vancouver, July
European Congress on Regional Geoscientific Cartography and Inforamtion Systems, Barcelona, ??June
Edit | Attach | Print version | History: r13 | r10 < r9 < r8 < r7 | Backlinks | View wiki text | Edit WikiText | More topic actions...
Topic revision: r9 - 02 Jun 2017, OllieRaymond
 

This site is powered by FoswikiThe information you supply is used for OGC purposes only. We will never pass your contact details to any third party without your prior consent.
If you enter content here you are agreeing to the OGC privacy policy.

Copyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding OGC Public Wiki? Send feedback