Welcome to the CanadaForum web
The goal of the Canada Forum is to better serve Canadian needs for geospatial data and services. The Forum is an informal organisation open to all Canadian Organisations (including non-OGC members) and international OGC members conducting business or research in Canada. Example organisations include, but are not limited to Federal, Provincial, Territorial and Municipal governments, Indigenous Organisations, Academia, and Industry.
The Canada Forum will provide a platform for all stakeholders to increase collaboration with a focus on Canadas requirements for sharing geospatial data and information, capacity building, innovation, outreach, industry business development, and others. The forum is also intended to provide a venue for the community to improve the level of Canadian influence in the OGC geospatial standards process and related standards partners (e.g. ISO, IHO, GEO, UN-GGIM, W3C
Sign up for the list serve,
which is open to all Canadian organisations (OGC member and non-member), and organisations doing business in Canada.
The Canada Forum was created based on extensive consultation with Canadian Organisations, beginning with a summit held in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, in June of 2017. The Canadian community identified a series of requires and needs, and agreed to move forward with the creation of a Charter, which was formally approved by the wider OGC Community in April of 2018. See this link for a copy of the approved Charter for the Canada Forum on Geospatial Standards,
which provides more details on the purpose and structure of the Canada Forum.
The Work Plan is under development, with the intent to ensure that;
- All sectors of the Canadian Community gain value from Forum activities
- Agreed upon work items do not require substantial additional resource commitments from Forum Participants
- All Canadian organisations, both members, and non-members, as well as organisations doing business in Canada, are included in activities
- There will be a focus to reach out to sectors in Canada not traditionally highly active in the Geomatics community
The first full forum meeting from February 19th (see below) contains an expanded discussion of potential work items.
Full Forum Meetings
Teleconference - February 19, 2019
: Fort Collins, Colorado, OGC TC PC Meetings, June 7, 2018, 1200-1300
The main objectives of the soft launch of the forum were;
- Election of Co-Chairs representing multiple sectors
- Further discussion to help refine potential forum activities and a potential forum hard launch in Canada.
See this link for context setting information
presented during the meeting.
Co-Chair Meeting Minutes
Additional Resources and Background
- InauGural co-chair meeting, July 11th, 2018
- SeCond co-chair meeting, August 1, 2018
- ThiRd co-chair meeting, September 5th, 2018
- Meeting Minutes, November 28, 2018
This section is intended to provide links to resources and information of relevance to Canada Forum Activities.
May 4, 2018, 0900-1600 Government of Canada and Departmental Data Strategies- Global Geospatial Data, Standards and Governance Perspectives -The Pot of Gold
Mai 4, 2018, 0900-1600 Stratégies des données ministérielles et du gouvernement du Canada - Données, normes et perspectives de gouvernance géospatiales globales -La toison dor
Introduction to the Canada Forum - Presentations
- General Slide Deck ( draft)
- Indigenous Mapping Workshop, August 23rd, 2018, Montreal
- Keynote presented at the CaNada SDI Summit, October 2nd, 2018, Whitehorse
- Geoalberta, October 29-21, 2018 Edmonton
- Geomatics Atlantic, November 14-15 2018, Halifax
- Cameron Wilson, NRCan
- Bradford Dean, Mohawk Council of Kahnawake
- Aurelian Constantinescu, CAE Inc
- Andy Hoggarth, Teledyne - CARIS
For general questions, comments or ideas, please contact Trevor Taylor ttaylor@opengeospatialNOspamPlease.org
CanadaForum Web Utilities