-- TrevorTaylor - 11 Sep 2018

Canada Forum Co-Chair Meeting

September 5th, 2018

Present
  • Aurelian Constantinescu
  • Andy Hoggarth
  • Maria Muradori
  • Trevor Taylor
  • Cameron Wilson
  • Yanmei Wu
Regrets
  • Bradford Dean
  • Tom Landry
Agenda Previous Actions
  • MM Provided an update on CCOG/Canada SDI Summit

    • TT to attend and speak on behalf of the forum Oct 1-3rd, White Horse - “why do we want Interop?Issues-based ( fires, floods, oceans, north and remote communities, climate change, etc )
    • Oct 1st - ESRI hosted Social Event
    • Oct 2nd - SDI Summit - outcomes - “the three-tier square” - Collect information on f Canadian spatial Data Value chain ( e.g.data, interop, standards, apps, policy)
Action: CW Suggested using SDI Worksheet as a structured way to collect comments from the group ( see below for a copy of the framework used for the Arctic SDP), and print as a poster/handouts - use to identify where each organisation fits.

SDI_worksheet.pptx prepared for Arctic SDP
    • Oct 3rd *am – Present to CCOG AGM (0830-1000) - 5 yr Strat plan - deliver expanded perspective to assist in planning
Action: Share information available on previous informal CCOG strategic discussions.
  • AH to work with his staff and Geomatics Atlantic organisers to introduce the Canada Forum

    • Ted Mckinnon open to the concept, awaiting an additional response

Update from CW: Ongoing discussion with Ted re using QGIS automagically load Canadian Web Services, followed by establishing application oriented narratives
  • GeoAlberta 2018 and the possibility of Canada Forum Activity
    • Scott’s McHale ’s is open to discussion – looking for sponsorship in exchange for a speaking slot for the GeoAlberta Event. Sponsorship not an option
Action; TT to follow up for an expanded discussion re evening session in Calgary with a small group of Albertan stakeholders
    • Scott is very interested in finding ways to collaborate between Alberta and the Forum above the GeoAlberta event and western representation/co-chair possibilities for the forum
    • Reach out to Steve Liang to see if he is attending/interest in a Western possibility.
Action: AC to remind Steve we are awaiting a response
    • Reach out to Gordon Plunkett, ESRI Canada, as a founding member of the Forum for a speaking possibility
Update: On-going
    • BD – suggested we could have a GoToMeeting session with Alberta Stakeholders - TT to bring this up with Scott the week of September 10th
  • Indigenous Mapping Workshop (IMW) - BD used some of the slides from the template deck plus Firelight group tweeted a note (retweeted by OGC)
Update; Completed Action: All to review by September 14th followed by French translation ( CW/AC)
  • Role of Universities/Academic Digital Object Identifiers?

    • Data Management – work with Universities to check for interest in collaborating to determine standard based ways to better manage Data assets (e.g. Digital Object Identifiers, also increasingly and NSERC requirement)
    • Need Representation from the University sector
    • Reach out to Perry Peterson and perhaps UNB? CW - Arctic Consortium - polar data community Academic Research - Polar 2018 Nov 28-30th, WMO Geneva - Polar Data Architecture Workshop.
Action: TT to reach out to Perry and check to see if OGC will be represented at the WMO event. May also overlap with OGC/WMO Hydrology DWG.

Forum Mini Plan Discussion
  • To help avoid stovepipes, all chairs should identify common cross-cutting issues.
  • Climate - Innovation, Monitoring, and resilience were provided as an example. Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) leading –
Action: reach out to ECCC for help ( Tom Kraladis)
  • AH pointed out the draft plan requires wordsmithing to ensure it is not perceived as government only, has a greater focus on innovation and to overcome various perceptions of what is “CGDI”. Consider using the CCOG SDI Summit as a test for government response. Consider arranging a side meeting for review during Geomatics Atlantic.

Action: All to review by September 21st for general virtual circulation in October.
  • For discussion in the future; determine when we should hold a full forum telecom to present the first draft
Geomatics Standards for Treasury Board
  • Updating geomatics standards for Government of Canada Treasury Board (TB) and consultation process. TB - reached out to NRCan - two theme; Open data and TB recommended standards ( two now Metadata and WMS (ISO version)/ Looking to modernize (CW include forward looking Tech Trends - Cloud, GeoAI Machine Learning?).Opportunity for the Forum to work with TB and influence and provide updates to better account for-data life cycle, innovation, modernisation (e.g.). TB policies can have teeth - a “stick” that may have procurement implications. TT should it be inclusive of other standards (e.g. IHO) ? Looking for opportunities to influence. CW - several half day forums ? state of play today and future trend ?. Will require clear understandable message for TB staff.

Action: For discussion at the next meeting



Topic revision: r1 - 11 Sep 2018, TrevorTaylor
 

This site is powered by FoswikiThe information you supply is used for OGC purposes only. We will never pass your contact details to any third party without your prior consent.
If you enter content here you are agreeing to the OGC privacy policy.

Copyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding OGC Public Wiki? Send feedback